You know that pose after a forward fold that feels like you are kind of standing up for no reason right before you drop to plank? Yes, that's a Halfway Lift - our focus in this blog. Its part of the Sun Salutation sequence, an important prep pose for Chaturanga, and an asana that has some amazing perks all on its own!
- Stretches hamstrings
- Engages core
- Strengthens spine
- Improves posture
How to Practice Halfway Lift
Many students are using this pose as a rest period between a forward fold and Chaturanga. You should feel completely engaged throughout your entire body in a halfway lift. Follow these tips below and notice how different this pose feels during your next practice.
- From a forward fold, inhale & lift your torso off your thighs.
- Your knees may be bent or straight - whichever allows you to maintain a neutral spine.
- Press your palms to the top of your shins or to the sides of your calves. This will engage the muscles on the side of your ribs.
- Stretch your sternum forward as you reach your tailbone towards the back of the room.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Press down through all four corners of your feet and engage your quadriceps. Shift your weight to the balls of the feet.
- Lengthen your neck by gazing at the top of your mat.
Halfway Lift Pose Breakdown
Need more visuals? Check out my video breakdown below.
This video is part of my yoga pose library and is included when you work with me in a private virtual yoga program. Learn more about custom virtual yoga here!
Hey - I'm Tiffany Lord, private virtual yoga instructor and founder of Love & Asana. I help type-A, overachievers reconnect to their bodies for more strength, flexibility and confidence with my realistic approach to yoga & mindfulness. Whether you feel "out of shape" due to persistent pain, past injuries or a stressful life change, you CAN feel better and live the life you want! Learn more about working together one-on-one here