Need a little pick-me-up today? Try out my free mini class!
In less than 10 minutes, you'll open your heart, twist and invert your way into joy. This combines poses in my "Build Your Energy with Asana" list below into a quick video for you to use whenever you need a break from the COVID-19 drain.
*Don't practice if you have any issues and/or injuries in your back, knees, ankles, neck and/or shoulders.
Build Your Energy With Asana
Inversions, twists and poses that stretch your chest (heart openers) are wonderful to practice when you need a little more "oomph" in your mood. Here are some of my favorites. These poses may not be appropriate for you based on your musculoskeletal history and/or current injuries/issues. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions!
- Lay on your back with knees bent, feet on the floor. Slowly lift your hips towards the ceiling. Press your heels down into the floor. Reach the crown of your head towards the top of your mat to lengthen your neck.
- Floor Bow
- Lay on your stomach. Bend knees and capture your feet with your hands. Lift your chest and thighs off the mat, kicking your feet into your hands.
- Half Pigeon with a quad stretch or Mermaid
- Avoid if you have any knee, ankle or hip issues.
- From table top or down dog, take your right knee on the ground on the side of the knee. Left leg extends behind straight from the hip. Square hips to floor. Stay lifted on hands or lower down to floor or block.
- From table top, lower stomach towards floor keeping arms straight. Draw shoulder blades towards spine.
- Downward Facing Dog
- From plank, shift hips up and back creating an inverted "v" with your body. Press flat palms into the ground. Plug arms into shoulder sockets. Lift tailbone towards ceiling. Relax heels towards the floor.
- Revolved Crescent
- From high Crescent with right leg in front, bring hands to heart and hinge forward at the hips. Twist and place left elbow on right leg.
About the Author:
Tiffany Lord is a corporate yoga coach and founder of Love + Asana, a virtual studio launched in 2016 offering workplace wellness sessions, workshops and program design. Her sessions incorporate movement and mindfulness focusing on benefits for stress relief and chronic pain. Tiffany’s fun, approachable style makes classes feel like you’re hanging out with friends while also improving your mental and physical health.
She is an E-RYT with the Yoga Alliance and currently enrolled in a 500-hour training with Yoga Medicine focusing on yoga applications for common range of motion issues. Continuing education in meditation, breathing techniques, myofascial release, yoga for COVID-19 recovery and training as a massage therapist help make her sessions relevant and beneficial to clients who want simple movement and mindfulness techniques that improve their quality of life. Her articles on wellness through yoga have been featured in online and print publications, such as fyi50+ and CO Yoga + Life magazine.
Questions? Contact Tiffany at email@example.com